Synchronize working documents
FileHold makes managing the documents that users have downloaded to their local machine easy. These "working documents" can be ones that have been checked out of FileHold for editing or downloaded as local copies for local reference.
When the user wants to clean up the files that they have downloaded or checked out to their local machine they can do so by logging into the FileHold Desktop Client and using the Working Documents tool.
You may be prompted to clean up your working documents when the following occurs:
- When the FDA is minimized to the system tray.
- When the user logs out.
- When the FDA detects it has been disconnected from the FileHold server.
- When the FDA receives a message from Microsoft Windows to shut down.
- When a user exits the FDA.
The Working Documents window displays the contents of the "local folder"*. It lets a user know if a file has been checked out, modified, local version number and whether it is the last version located in FileHold. This information helps users decide what action to take for each file.
*The "local folder" is the "My FileHold Documents folder that is automatically created by FileHold when it is installed. It is created (by default) in the "My Documents" Folder of the users computer.
In order to see documents that a user may have downloaded to folders other than the default folder, the user can deselect the "Show my local working folder only" default setting.
The list of all documents that a user has downloaded or checked out will appear. Users have three functions to select from:
- Get newer version of files from the library – Downloads a more recent version of a document from FileHold to the local folder when the version on FileHold is newer than the one in the local machine.
- Check-in files that I have updated locally – Checks in files that users have updated locally but not yet returned to the library.
- Remove duplicate or older files that I have on my local computer – Checks for files that are duplicated or are older versions of documents that have newer versions available and deletes them from the local folder.
The Working documents list can be accessed when users are disconnected from the server and working offline, however they will not be able to synchronize the files until they are again hooked up to the server. This means that they may not have access to the very latest version of a document or that any updating that they do to a document offline will have to wait until they are reconnected to the server to be updated in FileHold.
For Microsoft Office products: When opening and closing documents from the FDA, the file will be automatically removed from the working folder except for Microsoft Outlook (msg) files. Non-Microsoft documents are not deleted upon close because FileHold cannot detect when a user closes a document from non-Microsoft applications.
Working documents may automatically be cleaned up without any user intervention depending upon what has been configured. Some clean up settings in be configured in the User Preferences. See your system administrator for details.
To access the working documents tool
- Open the FileHold Desktop Application.
- Select Tools > Working Documents. The list of working documents appears.
- Click Synchronize.
- Select from the options outlined above and click Preview.
- Follow the prompts and click OK.