There are several ways to search for documents for documents in FileHold:
FastFind – Uses predefined hot-keys to search third party applications from within the software.
Full Text Search – (also called Simple Search) The software has the ability to recognize, index text and allows users to search content of all your favorite document types including PDF, Microsoft Office, Zip and many more. By default the simple search screen searches the document management system using full text search. When searching using the full text search, the software considers both the metadata associated with the document and the content of the document. Full text search is particularly useful for general searches of files stored in the records management system. For example searching for all files that make reference to Sarbanes Oxley.
Advanced Search – (also called metadata search) Advanced metadata search allows users to use the metadata associated with a document to help locate the file in the document and records management system. This is particularly useful when users have a specific piece of information they would like to search for. Advanced searches are the most effective way to perform searches. Up to ten search parameters can be used in an advanced search.
From an External Application – A saved quick search can be invoked through an URL address from an external application. Once the URL is clicked, the search results are displayed in the Web Client.
How to Access Full Text and Advanced Searches
There are several methods in accessing the Search function.
- Click Search, My Saved Searches, or Public Saved Searches in the library tree. Click Search to search all documents in the Library tree.
- Enter any term into the “Google”-like search toolbar located in the top right of the window.
- Click the down arrow next to the search toolbar to access the Advanced Search screen.
In Web Client in a Folder View
- Right-click on any area of the library and select Search. This restricts the search to that location in the Library.
- From the simple search screen, click Advanced to access the Advanced Search screen.
In the FileHold Desktop Application (FDA), you are able to see the search results highlighted in yellow in a simple HTML viewer which appears at the bottom of the window.
TIP: Search terms can also be highlighted in the FileHold viewer.
To highlight search results
- In the Search Results window of the FDA, right-click on a document and select Highlight Results.
- Any terms that match the search criteria will be highlighted in yellow in the HTML viewer that appears in a separate window below.