Click to Tag is a method of quickly assigning metadata to a document being added to the repository using the FileHold Desktop Application. It allows you to “click” or “rubber band” text, numbers, dates, etc. on the screen and inserts the value into the metadata field of the schema. When using Click to Tag, the mechanism OCR’s (optical character recognition) the selected area on the screen. This makes is possible to extract values not just from the document but also from any external application accessible on the user’s computer.
When Click to Tag is invoked in the metadata pane, the user is prompted to open the document in a FileHold viewer, the document’s native application, or to not to open the document. Not opening the document allows you to tag the document using an alternative file or from another application.
Note: You may get better results using Click to Tag when using in conjunction with the PDF/Image viewer as it can use the full resolution of the document to read the text. If using the Brava viewer or native application then Click to Tag can only read the resolution of the screen.
Once an option to tag the document is selected, the screen is covered with an opaque white mask called the “fold”. This indicates that the Click to Tag process is in effect. A tool tip displaying the metadata field name to tag is shown. You can then click or rubber band the value for the metadata field. After the first metadata field is tagged and validated, the next metadata field in the list can be captured. The process is repeated until all the values have been captured. The “fold” can be activated and deactivated at any time during the tagging process in the event that a document needs to be scrolled to other page, zoomed, or tagged from a different screen. Once all metadata field values have been captured, the "fold" is automatically closed.
When tagging metadata fields, read-only and auto-tagged fields are skipped from the tagging process. Check box type metadata fields are also skipped. For drop-down or drill down type metadata fields, the information that is being selected on the screen must be an exact match. If no matching value is found, an error message is displayed. If date, currency, number, or drop down list values do not match what has been captured or is not formatted correctly, the system will prompt you to enter a correct value.
If no metadata fields are present in the selected schema, the Click to Tag button is not available in the metadata pane.
WARNING: Note that the quality of the documents that are being tagged using Click to Tag need to be reasonably high. For this reason, only documents that are electronic in origin should be used with Click to Tag. Prior to using Click to Tag, you should test the tagging process with your various electronic documents to ensure that it will work well.
Font/text size needs to be of a reasonable size as Click to Tag does not work well with small fonts. If Click to Tag is not working well with the current font size, zoom into the document to increase the size of the font on the screen. Due to various quality, font size, or font type reasons, some text may not be able to be read (ORC’d) from the screen and cannot be tagged using Click to Tag. In these cases, metadata values have to be entered manually.
Scanned documents may present issues in tagging due to poor quality scans so for this reason, the OCR capabilities of your scanning software should be used to tag the documents and not Click To Tag. Read for more information on scanning documents and importing metadata into the document management system.
Click to Tag supports only the English language “out of the box”. This can be modified in the FDA.exe.config setting <add key="ClickToTagLanguage" value="eng"/>. For other language support, contact FileHold Professional Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To enter metadata using Click to Tag
- Add a new document(s) or select an existing document(s).
- Select a Document Schema from the list if adding a new document.
- In the metadata pane, click Click to Tag.
- In the Click to Tag window, select one of the following options:
- Open the document in the native application – The document opens in its native application. For example, if it is a PDF then it opens in Adobe Reader.
- Open the document in the Brava viewer – The document opens in the Brava viewer in the FileHold Desktop Application. You may need to undock the viewer, adjust the size, or move it to another monitor in order to tag the document. You can do this by closing the “fold”.
- Open in the document in the PDF/Image viewer – Opens the document in the PDF/Image viewer in the FDA. You may need to undock the viewer, adjust the size, or move it to another monitor in order to tag the document. You can do this by closing the “fold”.
- Do not open the document – Does not open the document in any viewer or application. Use this open to tag the document from an alternative file or from another application.
NOTE: If you are tagging multiple documents at once, then this window does not appear. You will need to close the fold and open the document or application that you want to tag from and then open the fold again to proceed with tagging.
- Once an option is selected, the “fold”, a white opaque mask, appears over the screen. This indicates the Click to Tag process is in effect. You may need to deactivate and activate the fold to undock the viewer, adjust the size, scroll through a document, zoomed, or move it to another monitor, and so on in order to tag the document. To deactivate the fold, click Fold in the bottom right corner. To activate the fold, click the Unfold button. See the example screen shots below:
- To deactivate or close the fold, you can also right-click on the activated fold and select Fold.
- To move between windows, use Alt+Tab or the task bar instead of deactivating the fold.
- Once the document is opened in the selected viewer and the fold is activated, the first metadata field in the schema displays in a tool tip. Capture the value for the metadata field by:
- A single word is captured by clicking on it.
- Multiple words or lines are captured by dragging a rectangle round the words (rubber banding) All words located inside or intersecting the triangle are captured. See the example below:
- Continue tagging the rest of the metadata fields in the schema using the click or rubber band methods. A tool tip displays each metadata field name.
- If you need to change a value or skip to another metadata field, right-click on the fold while it is activated. The list of metadata fields for the selected schema is shown. Select the desired metadata field name from the list. The metadata field that is currently being tagged has a check mark next to its name.
- If the value of the metadata field is not valid (does not match drop-down or drill down list value or check box) or cannot be read due to reasons (such as poor quality, font size, font type, and so on) an error message is shown stating the value is not valid "No valid (date/text/etc) was recognized in the selected area". Click OK to retry tagging the value. When tagging a currency, number, drop down list, or date value and Click to Tag does not recognize the value, a window opens prompting the user to enter the correct value.
- Once the tagging is completed for all the metadata fields, the fold automatically closes.
- Alternatively, right click on the activated fold and select Close.
- Alternatively, click ESC to end the Click to Tag process.
- Click Save in the metadata pane to save the information.