In the Administration Workflow Status Report, you can search for workflows and perform certain actions such as cancel a workflow, get a copy, clear completed and cancelled workflows, override tasks and activities and delegate tasks. The report shows the tasks from all activities, including those that have not yet started (future tasks). The administration workflow status report has a number of filters that can be used to narrow down your workflow search results. This report is available in both the Web Client and FDA and is accessible to users who have read-only access or higher and are participants or observers of workflows.
The workflow status report is also available in the library in the Reviews and Approvals > Status Report area; however, this workflow status report does not have any filters.
The following information can be seen in the workflow status report:
|Workflow||The name of the workflow. If a workflow custom naming pattern has been configured, that name appears here.|
|Main/Supporting||The number of main and supporting documents in the workflow. See Adding or Removing Documents from a Workflow for more information.|
|Show documents link||
To view all of the documents that are involved in the workflow, click the Show Documents link. The documents appear in the “Documents associated with <workflow template name>” window. The documents are listed by main or supporting document types.
From here, documents can be checked out, emailed, viewed, downloaded, or deleted.
|Initiator||The user that initiated the workflow.|
|Started||The date the workflow was started.|
|Due||The date the workflow is due.|
|Completed||The percentage of the workflow that has been completed.|
The possible statuses of a workflow are:
View Details link
Click to review the workflow template details. The workflow template cannot be changed once the workflow has been initiated.
Note that one-time review activities do not appear in the workflow details; the activities only reflect the situation when the workflow was initiated.
If using the FDA, click on the coloured areas to expand and contract the different areas of the workflow template.
|Under each workflow name, click on the + or > symbol to view all the activities in the workflow.|
The activity number in the workflow template. There can be up to 20 defined template activities plus up to 40 one-time review activities in a workflow.
|Task||The task number. Each participant in an activity is numbered.|
The name of the user that was assigned the task.
An asterisk (*) appears next to the participant’s names’ for all tasks that are available to be reserved in the Workflow Status report.
If the type is "wait for external signature", the participant is Adobe Sign.
|On Behalf Of||The name of the user that delegated the task.|
|Comments||Double-click on Comments link. The Comment Details window displays the comments from that participant and task.|
A document supplied by the participant relevant to the workflow. Note that attachment documents are not searchable and do not become a part of the library.
To download a copy of the feedback document, click the Save icon in the Attachments column. In the FDA, select the location to save the feedback document and click Save. The document is downloaded to that location. In the Web Client, the feedback document is saved to the browser’s default download location.
|Started||The date the task started.|
|Due||The date the task is due.|
|Completed||The date the task was completed.|
Filtering the workflow status report
The selected workflow in the Status Report list remains selected until the list is refreshed and the selected workflow is no longer in the list. A user with a read only role or higher can use this report.
To run the Workflow Status Report
- In the Web Client, go to Administration Panel > Workflow Management > Status Report.
- In the FDA, go to Administration > Workflows > Status Report.
- Select from the following filter options. Alternatively, to return a list of all workflow events, leave the check boxes clear.
- Workflow Status Equals — Select one of the following: In Progress, Completed, Cancelled, Approval Postponed, Pending Approval, Approved, Reviewed, Pending Review, or Not Approved .
- Completed Between — Enter a minimum and maximum percentage for the amount of workflow completed.
- Date Started — Enter a minimum and maximum date for when the workflow was started.
- Due Date — Enter a minimum and maximum due date for the workflow.
- Document Name Contains — Enter a text string for the name of the document in the workflow.
- Workflow Name Contains — Enter a text string for the name of the workflow.
- Initiator is — Select a user name from the list.
- Click Apply Filter. The search results are displayed below. You can now take actions upon the workflow results.
Workflow status report actions
From the workflow status report, you can take the following actions on a task:
- Show Documents (link) – Opens the documents associated with the workflow (main documents and supporting documents) in a separate window.
- View Details (link) — Displays the workflow template.
- Restart a Workflow – Select the completed activity from where to restart the workflow from. Workflows can be restarted on not approved, approval postponed, or an active workflow. Workflows marked as completed and approved cannot have their workflows restarted.
- Rename Workflow – To rename the workflow instance, select the workflow from the list and click Rename Workflow. Enter the new workflow instance name and click OK. Workflows can only be renamed by the initiator or senior administrator if the “allow initiator to define” option has been enabled in the workflow template.
- Cancel a Workflow — Allows you to cancel the workflow. Confirm the cancellation by clicking OK at the message prompt.
- Clear Completed — Clears completed workflows with a status of approved, not approved, approval postponed, reviewed, or overridden (if the last task in the workflow was overridden) from the Participant Workflow Status Report. When clicked the message “Completed workflows will no longer be visible on your personal workflow status report. Check the box below to include postponed workflows”. To remove any postponed workflows from the status report, select the Clear Postponed Workflows check box. To retain any postponed workflows, clear the check box. Users may want to keep workflows with a status of approval postponed because the workflow isn’t truly completed.
- Clear Cancelled — Removes the cancelled workflows from the from the Participant Workflow Status Report.
- Reserve/Undo Reservation – Allows you to “reserve” or undo the reservation for the selected task. Once a task is reserved by a participant, it prevents all other participants from completing the task and is removed from their task list. The status of the user who reserved the task is “Reserved”. The status of the other users is “Blocked”. Once the task is completed by the participant that reserved the task, the statues changes to “Reviewed” or “Approved” and the status for all other participants is “Voided”. If the reservation for the task is undone, then the task is available to all participants again. This function is available only if the option Force Reservation is enabled in the workflow template. An asterisk (*) appears next to the participant’s names’ for all tasks that are available to be reserved in the Workflow Status report.
- Override Task— Overrides a task or activity by moving it to the completed state without affecting the rest of the workflow. Use this feature when a workflow member is absent and the workflow needs to be completed.
- Delegate Task — Delegates a task to another user.
- Print (FDA Only) – Prints an exact match of what is displayed on the screen.
- Export (FDA Only) – When exporting the report, you can choose to export only the workflow or you can include both the workflows and the tasks. The report can be exported to CSV or HTML. Note that for the HTML report, the workflow must be expanded in the Workflow Status Report results to print the tasks. In other words, the HTML report will be exported to look exactly how it appears on the screen.
- Changes link (Web Client only) — View the workflow change log.