Documents can be added or removed from an active workflow. Documents can be added as “main” or “supporting” documents. Main documents are all the documents in a “package” must be approved and/or reviewed together. Supporting documents can be added to the workflow instance to assist in the review and/or approval process of the main documents.
Documents can be removed from the “Documents associated with workflow template name” pane. Documents that are checked out cannot be removed from the workflow. Once the document has been removed, the approval status changes to “Not submitted for approval” and the effect of the “Hide all versions…” flag is removed.
The following users and roles can add and remove main and supporting documents in workflows:
- Workflow initiator – The workflow initiator who has Document Publisher role or higher and has access to all existing main documents.
- Cabinet owner – A Cabinet Administrator that has ownership of the cabinets where all the documents in the workflow are stored.
- Senior Library Administrator or higher role
When adding documents to existing workflows:
- The workflow template associated with the documents must be associated with the same workflow template used to initiate the workflow in its schema.
- All observers and participants must have access to the document.
- Only the last version of the document can be added to a workflow.
- If adding a main document, then the document cannot be associated with another workflow.
- When adding a supporting document, it cannot be checked out or deleted after it has been added.
- A main document cannot be added to a workflow after an approval activity has already been completed.
- When adding a main document to a workflow that has been marked as "approval postponed", the workflow can be restarted from the first activity in the workflow template if the option "Reset all activities when adding documents to a postponed workflow" is enabled. This allows all of the main documents including the new main document to go through the entire workflow process once again. If the option "Reset all activities when adding documents to a postponed workflow" is not enabled on the template then the workflow is restarted from the activity from which the approval was postponed. See Creating Workflow Templates for more information.
To add a main or supporting document
- Select one or more documents to add to the workflow.
- Right-click on the documents and select Workflow > Add to Existing Workflow.
- Alternatively, in the Web Client select Send To > Existing Workflow from the menu bar.
- In the “Add Documents to Existing Workflow" window, select the workflow that you want to add the documents to from the list of existing workflows.
- Select one of the following options and click OK:
- Main documents that are reviewed or approved in the workflow – The selected documents are added to the existing workflow “package” as main documents and will be reviewed and/or approved along with the other main documents.
- Supporting documents associated with the workflow – The selected documents are added to the existing workflow to assist in the review and/or approval of the main documents.
- The documents are added to the existing workflow and can be seen in the “Documents associated with workflow template name” window as Main and/or Supporting documents.
To remove a main or supporting document
- Go to My Tasks or the Workflow Status Report and click the Show Documents link for the workflow you want to remove documents from.
- In the “Documents associated with workflow template name” window, select the document to be removed and click Remove.
- At the message prompt, “Are you sure you want to remove the selected documents from the workflow template name?” click OK. The document is removed from the active workflow.