Users can save entire emails, including attachments or save just the attachment without the email. Emails can be brought into the system:
- Drag and drop emails from Microsoft Outlook into the FileHold document management system.
- Use the Add to FileHold button from the Add Ins toolbar in Microsoft Outlook. The email message has to be opened in order to use the Add to FileHold button as you cannot do it from the messages view.
- Using a Microsoft Outlook ‘watched folder’ allows you to add any emails into the “watched folder” in Outlook so that the emails are brought into a folder on the local computer or network location. Then having a watched folder or managed import set up in the FileHold Desktop Application (FDA) (see the Library Administrator Guide for more information), the emails automatically get brought into system for processing.
Emails are saved as msg files and open in Outlook with their attachments. The email header information (To, From, CC, Date, Subject and Attachment) may be automatically extracted into the metadata fields, depending on what your administrator has configured. That way, you do not have to type this information in; instead the system will do it for you. See Extraction Rules in the Library Administration Guide for more information.
For the watched folder in Outlook, you can set up special email rules in Outlook to ensure the correct emails are being moved into the document management system. You can also drag and drop emails into the watched folder. Once an email has been sent into the document management system, it can never be imported again.
To add emails from Microsoft Outlook
- Do one of the following:
- From Microsoft Outlook, select one or more emails and drag and drop the files into either the Inbox or a folder location. Enter any required metadata and/or destination information. See Entering Metadata for a Document for more information on setting metadata on documents.
- From Microsoft Outlook, open an email and go to the Add-Ins tab and click Add to FileHold (+ sign). Select the folder location and enter the metadata and click Add. See Entering Metadata for a Document for more information on setting metadata on documents.
- Drag and drop or set up an Outlook rule to send documents to the Outlook watched folder.
To add only an attachment from an email
If attachments are saved to the system without the email they are stored in their native format.
Note: You cannot drag and drop an email attachment. You will need to use the Send to FileHold command.
IMPORTANT: You cannot add embedded attachments (attachments that were dragged and dropped into the email instead of using the paper clip attachment method) using this method. You will need to save the attachment and then add it to FileHold using the methods above.
- In Microsoft Outlook, select and open an email with an attachment.
- Right-click on the attachment and select Add to FileHold.
- Select a destination for the document.
- Enter the metadata for the document. See Entering Metadata for a Document for more information on setting metadata on documents.
- Select the following options, if applicable:
- Close the document before I add it — Closes the document in the application you are working in after you have added the file.
- Delete the local copy of this file after it has been successfully added — Deletes the copy of the file from your local computer after it is added.
- Email notify all folder members that this document has been added to this folder — Sends an email alert to all the members of the selected folder.
- Click Add or Auto-File if the document was added to a folder that is auto-tagged.
Dragging and Dropping Emails From Outlook
Drag and drop allows a user to move multiple emails from Outlook to the document management system FDA.
- Select the email(s) that are to be moved to the document management system.
- Drag and Drop to the FDA.
- Emails will automatically be sent to the Inbox for processing.
Remember: emails saved to the system can only be accessed by those with appropriate permissions to access the folder in the document management system where the email is saved.
The Microsoft Outlook Watched Folder allows you to add any emails into the “watched folder” in Outlook so that the emails are brought into a folder on the local computer or network location. Then having a watched folder or managed import set up in the FileHold Desktop Application (FDA) (see the Library Administrator Guide for more information), the emails automatically get brought into system for processing.
If you are setting up a managed import for emails, ensure that you have an email schema and an extraction rule configured.
Watch the video on how to set up the Microsoft Outlook Watched Folder.
To set up the Microsoft Outlook Watched Folder
- Create a folder in Microsoft Outlook that you want add the emails to.
- On your local computer or network location, create a folder that you want FileHold to “watch” for new emails to be brought into the repository.
- In the FileHold Desktop Application, do one of the following:
- Set up the Watched Folder for the folder you just created on your local computer or network drive. Note that if you are using a Watched Folder, the email header information is not extracted into the metadata fields of the schema. If you want the email header information extracted into the metadata fields, use a managed import instead.
- Have your Library Administrator set up a Managed Import for the folder that was created on your local computer or network. If using a managed import to bring emails into FileHold, ensure that the import format has been set to “Quick Scan Pro” in the user preferences. If the import format has been set to “Both” in the user preferences, ensure that the import format is set to “QuickScan Pro” on the individual managed import.
NOTE: If you are using the “Both” option in the user preferences, ensure that folder you select for the import profile contains only one type of XML files. The rule also applied for any of its subfolders. The XML files for the different import formats cannot coexist in the same folder tree.
- In Outlook 2010, select the Add Ins tab in Outlook and click FileHold Watched Folder.
- In Outlook 2007, click FileHold Watched Folder in the toolbar.
- In the FileHold Watched Folder Configuration window, click the Enable Outlook Watched Folder check box.
- In the Watched Folder in Outlook field, click Browse to select the watched folder you created in Microsoft Outlook.
- In the Destination Folder for Export field, click Browse to select the watched folder on your local computer or network drive.
- To create an XML file when the emails are exported, select the Export XML files in Document Import compatible format check box. This XML file is created for each .msg file and can be using in conjunction with the Manage Imports tool to import emails into the repository. The XML file contains the following message header information: To, From, CC, Date, Subject, and Attachments. Note that this does not need to be turned on to work with FileHold Watched Folders. The XML files do not get imported into the repository.
- Click OK.
- Test your configuration by adding a msg file to your Outlook watched folder. Then go into FileHold to ensure that the file has been brought into the Inbox for processing or sent to the folder, depending on your configuration settings in the Watched Folder or Managed Import. If you are setting up a managed import for emails, ensure that you have an email schema and an extraction rule configured.