Setting the outbound email settings allows administrators to be notified of potential issues and users to receive alerts, reminders and workflow tasks via email. FileHold requires access to an SMTP server in order to send email messages. Setting the outbound email settings allows the FileHold server to send alerts and reminders on folders and documents via email. Some alerts can be controlled by user. Alert settings for users can be set in File > Preferences & Settings > Alert Preferences from the FileHold Desktop Application, My FileHold from the web client administration menu, or by right clicking My FileHold from the library panel.
TIP: You may want to create a new email account on your email server for use with this feature. For example, email@example.com.
To set the outbound email settings
- In Web Client, go to Administration > Full Administration Menu > System Configuration > Settings > General.
- In the Outbound Email Settings area, enter the Reply-to email address. This is the email account that will be used as the "from" address in the outbound email. This name has to be in the format of an email address such as firstname.lastname@example.org. Your email administrators may need to create an email account for this address if your email server requires authentication.
TIP: If your email server required authentication, this reply-to address will likely need to be authorized to be used with the credentials that are provided.
- Enter the outgoing SMTP server address. Please check with your email administrator for this address.
- Enter the SMTP server port number. The default is 25. Please check with your email server, internal firewall and network system administrator(s) for more details.
TIP: SMTP ports are generally assigned to port 25 for unencrypted messages and 587 for encrypted messages. Please check with your email server, internal firewall and network System Administrator for more details.
- Select the SMTP Server Requires Authentication check box, if applicable. When authentication is required you will need to enter the username and password for the account that will be used to send the outbound emails.
- Enter the username for the server.
- Enter the password twice.
- Select the SMTP server requires an encrypted connection check box, if applicable.
TIP: When you have a choice, choose to only send encrypted email.
- Click Update.
- To send a test email, enter the test email address and click Send Test Email.
- If the outbound email settings are correct, a “Test email message sent successfully” message appears and an email is delivered to the recipient.
- If the outbound email settings are not configured correctly, you will receive a message like “Failure sending mail. Check the mail account settings”. The first part of this message will depend on the error sent by your email server.
- Click Update at the bottom of the page.
TIP: Some email servers will not accept SMTP messages by default, so SMTP may need to be enabled on your email server.
TIP: If your mail server is Office 365, you will find some help on setting up your server for SMTP at the following link. FileHold could be configured to work with any of the three options, but option 1 is likely the easiest to setup. https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/how-to-set-up-a-multifunction-device-or-application-to-send-email-using-office-365-69f58e99-c550-4274-ad18-c805d654b4c4?ui=en-US&rs=en-GB&ad=GB
TIP: Do not forget to click the update button for the outboard email settings before sending a test email. The send test mail button uses the saved email settings. The settings on the page are only saved after the update button is pressed