Limited Registered and Anonymous Portal users
Limited registered user and portal alias user accounts (formerly guest users) are used when multiple people can share the same username and password to log into FileHold to see the same documents in the library. For example, documents such as newsletters, forms, or corporate policies may need to be accessible to all company employees but they do not require a full registered user license and full functionality. Using limited registered and portal alias users are a cost effective way for many people to view documents in the repository but with very limited functionality (view only rights). Limited registered and portal alias accounts must be assigned to a group with a role of "Limited" (formerly guest role) and consume the limited concurrent sessions (formerly guest sessions). Limited concurrent sessions are sold at a reduced cost when compared to the regular full access concurrent sessions.
Limited Registered User and Portal Alias account functionality
The following are functions/features that are enabled for a limited registered and portal alias user:
- View the metadata and file properties of a document in the cabinet / folder in which a user can access.
- View a document's history of changes (edits to metadata and usage of file).
- Perform searches.
- “Get a Copy” of a document and download it your local hard drive. This functionality may be restricted to viewing only via the FileHold viewer.
- Email documents if this option is enabled by administrators.
- Use the viewer, if licensed by an administrator.
- View the properties of the library in read-only mode.
- View reports if given access by an administrator.
The following functions/features are restricted in a limited registered and portal alias user account:
- Add a document.
- Check out a document.
- Edit the metadata of a document.
- Create links between documents but can view the linked documents made by other users.
- Create saved searches.
- Move or copy documents to another library location.
- Delete documents.
- Add documents to the Document Tray.
- Create or add a Virtual folder in My FileHold.
- Use custom views.
- Access My FileHold and its sub nodes including: My Favorites, Checked Out Documents, Document Alerts, Document Reminders, Recently Accessed and Recently Added.
- Access to view preferences including My Alert Preferences and My User Preferences.
- Participate in or observe a Workflow activity.
- Access My Workflow Tasks and Workflow Status Report.
How do the limited registered user and portal alias user accounts need to be set up?
For example, you need all employees in the company to be able to access the company policies, HR forms, and general employee information. In this scenario, everyone in the company has access to the same documents in the library.
If you need a single user account, you can set up a single "Portal alias" account and the Anonymous Portal to bypass the login screen for the users. You can also customize the Anonymous Portal header to make it look like your own website.
For example, you need members of the Sales department, Marketing department, and the Managers group to see different documents in the library or require separate audit logging for each department. In this case you would need to create separate limited registered user accounts, each account to be used by all members of each department.
If you are using multiple limited registered user accounts, you will have users logging in through the regular clients. There is no need to set up the Anonymous Portal in this case.