The FileHold Desktop Application (FDA) is a rich Microsoft Windows based desktop application that allows the addition and management of documents in the document management system.
A FileHold representative will send you a link to download the FileHold Client Installation Kit. The FDA must be installed on each individual workstation. A silent installer script is also available.
Starting with the FileHold 14.2 release, the FDA and Brava viewer are a part of the same installation file. In previous FDA releases, both the FDA and Brava viewer installation files are required to install. You CANNOT install the Brava viewer separately as a stand-alone program – it must be installed with the FDA installer. You will need to specify the location of the Brava viewer executable file during the installation if installing earlier versions.
Software Installation Pre-requisites
- The FileHold Desktop Client Application must be installed and configured for the user on a supported operating system. See System Requirements for full details.
- Inspect the file properties of the installer to make sure the application is not blocked by your security software. Remove block if present.
- Temporarily disable your antivirus / security suite software.
- Quit ALL Microsoft Office applications.
- Close any other applications that are running.
For troubleshooting issues, see FDA Troubleshooting Guide.
To install the FDA on the local computer
Unzip the FileHoldxxx-Client-Installation-Kit-xxx.zip file on the local computer.
Launch the FDA Installer Application FileHoldxxx_Client-xxx.exe by right clicking on the executable file and selecting Run As Administrator.
Click Next in the Welcome Screen.
Read the terms in the License Agreement, select I accept the terms in the license agreement and click Next.
If you select I do not accept the terms in the license agreement, this will cancel the installation.
Choose how you want the application installed. Anyone who uses this computer (all users) is recommended in case of the possibility of other users logging into your PC with a windows\domain account to use FileHold. Click Next.
Select the features that you want to install: FileHold Microsoft Office Add-In and Application Shortcuts. All features are installed by default. If you do not want a feature installed, select This feature will not be available from the drop down list. Click Next.
If you have purchased Brava Viewer licenses you will need to install the Brava viewer using the FDA installer. Keep the default Install FileHold Document Viewer check box selected to install the Brava viewer. Click Next.
NOTE: Starting in 2017, Brava viewer licenses are no longer available for new FileHold purchases. Previously purchased Brava viewer licenses are still available for use in the FileHold Desktop Application. The Brava Viewer (3 levels) is for use with the FileHold Desktop Application (FDA). If the Brava viewer is purchased (any level), customers receive the PDF/Image viewer at no additional cost. If a user is assigned a Brava viewer license, they can also use the PDF/Image viewer with the Brava viewer, with the Brava Viewer viewer being the default viewer. See the complete list of file formats that are supported by the viewer.
Click Install to start the installation. This will take a few minutes.
Once the installation is complete, click Finish.
Launch the Desktop application. Go to File > Connection Options and add you login credentials and the FileHold Server URL.
The Server URL follows the following pattern. Click Test URL and Test Logon to ensure your login will be successful.
You will choose http or https according to which protocol you have configured your server for.
Replace <servername> with the actual name of your FileHold Server.
- You can use the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) for the FileHold server in place of the simple server name.
- If you are using the Windows account information, also known as Integrated Windows Authentication (IWA) or Single Sign On (SSO), you must use the FQDN.
- If you are using https your server name must match your certificate name in order to avoid certificate warnings.
IMPORTANT: For Integrated Windows Authentication to work the FileHold system must be synchronized with Active Directory (AD) and Integrated Windows Authentication must have been configured on the domain for the FileHold Server. FileHold professional services provides assistance with this for customers that purchased the AD synchronization option.
TIP: You do not need to install any special client to use the Web Client. Simply enter an URL like the following in your browser address bar.
See Accessing the FDA for more information on logging into the FDA.
Installing a Language Pack
If you require the FileHold Desktop Application to be in another language, follow these instructions. If you require the language pack files, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To install the language pack
- Install the FileHold Desktop Application Client prior to installing the Language Pack. See the above installation instructions.
- Unzip the Language pack files to the local computer.
- Unblock the installer file, if necessary, in the file properties.
- Run the executable as an Administrator.
- Follow the install wizard and click Install.
- Log in to the FileHold Desktop Application and go to File > Preferences and Settings > User preferences.
- Set the Default Language and click OK.
- Exit and log back into the FileHold Desktop Application. The FDA should be changed to the selected language.