Warning: Use this tool if the name of the FileHold Windows Server has changed or needs to change, and you should not consider changing the FileHold Windows server name without very good reason. The Server name change must not also include a domain change at the same time.
- First of all, changing a Windows server name does not always work out. System ID's can become corrupted. Local Users and Groups snap-in may not work, SQL Server might stop functioning. Most of the time, it is painless, but rarely or occasionally, it can be very problematic. If you are running a virtualized server, take a snapshot, and for any type of server - make sure you have backups of all relevant FileHold data and databases.
- You might also need to setup a new LocalServer\FH_Service account, and assign proper permissions, etc as well - if the FH_Service account was a local account. This guide does not cover that scenario.
- If you have an SSL Certificate enabled, this page does not cover this procedure, but you can refer to this page for the guide on replacing the SSL Certificate and ensuring your system works after the change.
- This guide will show you how to change the FileHold name specifically using the FHInstrumentation tool.
1) Run FHInstrumentation tool as an Administrator - read this guide for an explanation of how to find this tool on the FileHold Server - you must be a domain administrator, logged into this Server to run this tool successfully. You must also be an administrator on the SQL Server that houses the FileHold databases.
2) Go to Change Port, server name or protocol
3) The first radio button, "Change port, server name or protocol" is already selected - click Start.
4) Select the Check Server Name checkbox, and fill in the actual Server name of the FileHold Windows Server
5) Click Next - then Click Start
6) Once Completed - Restart the WWW Service
7) Run the FHInstrumentation Health Checker to validate the system change - run this as an administrator.
8) Update your Web Client Login URL and Desktop Client URL with the new server host name.
Try to login to FileHold and test the system