The Manage Imports tool can be used to import documents into the document management system that were exported using the Export function or using the Instrumentation Tool. This is useful when exporting and importing documents between a demo and production systems.
A checkbox labeled "Use the dynamic import format" on the Mapping tab allows for importing compatible XML files and documents back into the document management system along with their metadata and library location when enabled. During the import, the document schema is automatically selected for each document based on the XML file and all metadata fields are automatically mapped based on their name. Prior to importing the documents, the schemas and metadata fields need to exist in the system that you are importing into in order to capture the correct schemas and metadata fields. If the "Use the dynamic import format" is enabled for the document import, it is not possible to select a fixed destination or an auto-filing script. Instead the destination location will be determined for each document based on the library path field in the XML file. All cabinets, drawers and folders must exist in the library before importing the documents; the Manage Imports tool will not create the library structure.
In order to import documents that were previously exported, the import format in the user preferences must be set to "QuickScan Pro" or if using the "Both" option, the import itself must be set to use "QuickScan Pro". If you are using the “Both” option in the user preferences, ensure that folder you select for the import profile contains only one type of XML files. The rule also applied for any of its subfolders. Capture and QSP XML files cannot coexist in the same folder tree.
Use the Instrumentation Tools > Library Setup to export and import out your library structure and schemas/metadata fields between systems.
You can enable the ‘auto-send’ feature for document imports using the FileHold compatible format so all documents are automatically sent to the library without using the Inbox; however, you can still send the documents to the Inbox in order to review the metadata.
When importing in documents that were exported from FileHold, only the actual files, their metadata and library location will be preserved for the imports and exports in the XML file. Document information such as the owner, creation date, and version history will not be preserved during the export and import process.
To import documents previously exported from FileHold
- In FDA, go to Tools > Manage Imports and click Add.
- If the document import format has been set to “Both” in the user preferences, select Quick Scan Pro from the list of import formats.
- In the General tab, enter an Import Name and Description.
- In the Select folder containing Import File field, click Browse to locate the XML file that was created during the export process.
- Click Retrieve XML Fields. You should receive a message saying that XML fields were successfully retrieved.
- To share the import with other users on the local machine, select the Share this import with other users check box. This will allow any imported documents to appear in the other user's Inbox as well as your Inbox for filing.
- In the Job Automation Settings area, select the following check boxes if applicable:
- Watch for new files to be imported and automatically tag and bring them into the Inbox - When enabled, the documents scanned into the import folder will be automatically tagged with metadata values and brought into the Inbox. If disabled, then the import has to be run manually using the Start button.
- Delete input files after they have been successfully added to the FileHold Library - The folder where the documents were imported from will be deleted automatically. This keeps the import folder clean and reduces storage space needed.
- Move input files to the selected folder - After files have been imported into FileHold, they can be moved from the file location from which they were imported from to another location on the local computer or network. If a file with the same name exists in the destination folder, a unique number will be appended to the file name. NOTE: This option cannot be used in conjunction with the "Delete input files after they have been successfully added to the FileHold Library" check box.
- In the Field Mapping tab, select the Use the dynamic import format check box. The rest of the tab is disabled since it will take the mapping information from the XML file.
- The Database Lookup tab is disabled.
- In the Auto-filing tab, the Auto-Filing settings are disabled. The documents will get their file path from the XML file.
- In the Job Automation Settings area, select the Automatically "Send Files" to the FileHold Library with an Inbox Status of "Ready to Send" to completely bypass the Inbox and go directly to the folder location set above. This way you do not have to go to the Inbox and click Send or Send All; the documents will be sent automatically to the set folder location.
- Click OK to save the Import settings.