The Manage Import Tool is provided as an interface between scanning software and FileHold. It is also known as the FileScan Bridge. In addition to providing an interface to scanning software it can also be used to import documents from Outlook watched folders, exported from FileHold, import documents from legacy document management systems, or just about any source that can describe what to import as XML.
Manage imports works using import profiles that can be defined by library administrators. An import profile contains the import name, description, location of the import files, job automation settings, map the metadata fields as needed, optionally perform database lookups for metadata field values, and set the filing location directly or indirectly.
All users with a document publisher role or higher can operate Manage Imports when import profiles have been created. Library administrators can define import profiles for a variety of purposes.
- Documents from scanning application - Use the Manage Imports tool to bring scanned documents via an XML import file into FileHold in the FileHold Desktop Application (FDA). Once files have been scanned they can be imported automatically into the document management system along with any Zonal OCR'd text.
- Documents that were exported from a FileHold system in a compatible XML format - Use the Manage Imports tool to import documents into the document management system that were exported using the Export function or using the FileHold Instrumentation Tool. This is useful when exporting and importing documents between a demo and production systems.
- Using Manage Imports to transfer files from another system - Manage Imports can be used when transferring data from other systems. These can be document management systems based on shared folders, third party applications, or just about anywhere. The key to importing data will be to stage it appropriately. Manage Imports works based on a description of what to do in an XML file and it copies documents into the repository from the file system.
TIP: You can have as many import profiles as needed and use any combination of the source types above. The Watched Folders feature is a powerful technique to import documents in the background. Care should be taken to ensure that the number of imports and the volume of documents is suitable for the performance of the workstation and network where the FDA is installed.
When creating imports, the import format will need to be defined if the import format in the user preferences has been set to “Both”. Set the import format to:
- Quick Scan Pro – Select this option if you are importing documents from the scanning software made by EMC Captiva called QuickScan Pro, or if you are importing emails from Microsoft Outlook using the Outlook Watched Folder feature, of if you are importing documents that were exported from another FileHold system.
- Capture – Select this option if you are importing documents from the SmartSoft Capture scanning software.
NOTE: If you are using the “Both” option in the user preferences, ensure that folder you select for the import profile contains only one type of XML files. The rule also applied for any of its subfolders. Capture and QSP XML files cannot coexist in the same folder tree.
The following links will provide information on how to create the descriptive XML file or setup auto-filing needed for Manage Imports.