Do you have piles of paper to scan? Are you processing multiple pages of documents at once? SmartSoft capture can support multiple pages when scanning or importing files.
There are a few ways that pages can be separated when processing documents through Capture. This is configured in the Tools > Settings > General tab.
One page documents
If every document is a single page document, disable the Enable automatic document merge check box. If you have multiple page documents, do not disable this setting.
Multiple page documents
If you have multiple page documents, enable the Enable automatic document merge check box and select one of the following Merge Mode options.
This setting makes Capture attempt to be smart about where to split the documents. It will look for page numbers, identical invoice numbers, or any kinds of clues to attempt to group pages from the same document together. If the clues are sparse, you may need to try another method such as barcode separators or manual manipulation.
2. Merge pages from one file
This setting is only to be used when processing existing files, in other words, you are not scanning these documents in. This will keep all the pages from one file together and will not split them up. For example, you can open a 57 page PDF file and Capture will not split up the pages.
If you find that Capture is having issues with splitting your documents automatically, the foolproof method of getting the documents separated in the right place is to use a barcode separator sheet. You can place a barcode page in between where the documents need to be split. The barcode separator sheet can be printed from here. I recommend to print these out on a light yellow paper as they can be quickly added and removed and reused repeatedly. The yellow paper makes the barcode separator sheets easily visible in the stack and the light yellow won’t interfere with the visibility of the barcode when scanning.
If you’re still experiencing issues where the document separation isn’t quite right and needs to be adjusted, you can use the manual method in the session view.
In the session view you can right-click on a page and select one of the following options:
- Move current page up – Merges a page to the document/page above. Rearranges the pages in multiple page documents.
- Move current page down – Merges a page to the document/page below. Rearranges the pages in multiple page documents.
- Move current page to a new document – Splits the current page from the previous page into a new document.
- Append current page to previous document – Appends the current page to the previous document.
- Append current page to next document – Appends the current page to the next document.
- Merge current document to previous document – Merges the entire document to the previous one. Will merge entire multiple page documents.
This concludes the series on Capture tips and tricks. If you have any blog suggestions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.